Is it time for a new cooling system for your home here in the Dayton area? A new air conditioning system is a big up-front investment, but your household’s comfort is important, too. Safety could be at risk if your system is older or hasn’t been recently inspected. Is it a worthwhile investment to install a new cooling system this year? There are several factors to consider to help you make a sound, cost-effective decision on whether to repair or replace your air conditioner. Consider replacing your air conditioning system if:
- The cooling system was installed 10 years ago or longer – Older systems are so inefficient when compared with new equipment that replacement sooner rather than later can save you a lot of money on monthly utilities, as EnergyStar.gov has noted.
- Energy bills are higher and higher – Lower monthly operating costs from new energy-efficient systems, plus potential tax credits for solar or geothermal energy, mean that you could recoup the costs of your new air conditioning system quicker than you think.
- Frequent breakdowns are an issue – If your existing A/C is in good shape, it would be smart to continue repairing it. But if it breaks down often, costing you money and inconvenience, it may not be worth fixing. Factor this into your decision on whether to repair or replace your air conditioner.
- You’re selling soon – A new cooling system can add to your home’s property value. If you plan to live there for a long time, consider that a new system may still be a good investment in your family’s immediate comfort and energy savings.
- You run the A/C frequently – If you don’t use the cooling equipment often, relying on ceiling fans and good insulation for instance, energy costs and high-level new-system performance could be less important. In that situation, you may find it simpler to maintain your current A/C system.
Do you need assistance deciding whether to repair or replace your air conditioner? Contact the experts at Detmer and Sons. We’ll be happy to walk you through the options. Please visit our website for information or give us a call.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about repairing or replacing your air conditioner and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.