To keep your furnace in good working condition and ready to do its job in the winter, you should perform preventative maintenance at least once a year. Annual service by an HVAC professional will improve furnace efficiency, will keep the unit clean, and will cut down on malfunctions and repairs by catching and fixing problems early. Annual service is one of the best things you can do to extend the useful life of your furnace and keep it working well for years.
You can do some maintenance tasks yourself, including:
- Clean or change furnace filters – Dirty filters interfere with your furnace’s needed air flow, let particles and contaminants flow back into your indoor air, and are a major source of system breakdowns. Keep clean filters in your furnace to help your heating system run efficiently.
- Clean registers and vents – Sweep accumulated dust, dirt, lint and other debris away from both supply and return vents.
- Check and clean blower assembly – Clean dust and dirt away from the blower. Check the belt to make sure it’s tight.
- Clean and oil blower motor – If you can reach the blower motor, add a few drops of oil to lubricate it.
Your HVAC technician will give your entire heating system a thorough inspection, from the furnace’s internal parts to the farthest end points of the ductwork system. The technician will perform tasks such as:
- Check fuel connections and pressure
- Inspect and adjust burners
- Calibrate thermostat
- Tighten belts
- Lubricate fans, motors and moving parts
- Check and clean condensate drain
- Inspect wiring and electrical connections to make sure they are tight and undamaged
- Check and calibrate limit controls
- Check unit amperage
- Inspect heat exchanger for cracks or holes that could release carbon monoxide
- Test for carbon monoxide in the air near the furnace and around your house
For more than 30 years, Detmer & Sons, Inc. has provided trustworthy heating and cooling services to Dayton and the surrounding area. Contact us todayfor answers to your questions about furnace efficiency and annual maintenance or to schedule a professional inspection and service call.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about annual service and other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Detmer and Sons services the Ohio’s Miami Valley. Visit our websiteto see our special offers and get started today!
Photo courtesy of Shutterstock.