Though the weather may be pleasant now, winter can hit Ohio as early as the beginning of November. Prepare your home early for the onslaught of cold weather by winterizing your home in early fall, before the chill sets in for the season.
Below are just a few things you’ll want to do before winter:
- Winterize your furnace. Make sure that your furnace is working at peak efficiently by changing the filter and having it professionally cleaned before the chill begins. If your furnace is more than 15 years old, replacing it with a new Energy Star unit could save you up to 15 percent on your heating bill.
- Clean your gutters. Clogged gutters can lead to water damage inside of your home and cause ice dams to form in the winter. After the majority of your leaves have fallen, clean any excess debris from your gutters and drain pipes for a dry winter.
- Check for gaps in windows and doors. Gaps around your doors and windows can let the chill in and cost you big money. Prepare for cold weather by sealing small gaps with caulk and plugging larger gaps with weather stripping.
- Wrap your pipes. Ohio doesn’t get as cold as some parts of the Midwest, but we still have plenty of days below 32 degrees that will freeze your pipes if you’re not prepared. To get ready for winter, drain the pipes and turn off the water to the outside of your house. Any water pipe that passes through an area that isn’t insulated (such as an attic, crawl space or garage) should be wrapped in fiberglass insulation or a foam rubber sleeve.
- Check your ducts. According to the US Department of Energy, houses with improperly installed or loose ducts can lose up to 60 percent of their heat before it gets to the vents. To avoid this, make sure that your ducts are well-connected, even those that travel through the attic or crawl spaces.
Do you need help cleaning your ducts, inspecting your furnace or otherwise winterizing your home heating equipment in the Dayton, Ohio area? Detmer and Sons, in business for three generations, can help you get ready for the Ohio chill. Call us at 937 879-2373 to schedule an appointment.
Our goal is to help educate our customers about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems). For more information about other HVAC topics, download our free Home Comfort Resource guide.
Detmer and Sons services the Ohio’s Miami Valley. Visit our website to see our special offers and get started today!